Building Development Application Forms

Simplifying the Planning Scheme Codes - DILGP

Building approval is required before commencing most types of building work including:

  • New buildings (residential, commercial and industrial),
  • Removal or relocated buildings,
  • Sheds, garages and carports,
  • Alterations and additions to existing buildings,
  • Restumping of buildings,
  • Swimming pools, and
  • Demolition of buildings.

Building approval can be obtained from either Council or a private building certifier licenced with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. Building certifiers are responsible for ensuring proposed building work complies with the relevant provisions of the Building Act 1975, the Planning Act 2016 and associated regulations.

Building applications require the submission of the following information:

The following documents may also be required if the value of the building work exceeds a specified amount:

  • Evidence that the premium for home warranty insurance has been paid to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission for the building work (domestic residential construction work only),
  • A copy of the Owner Builder Permit for the building work (domestic residential construction work only), and
  • Evidence that the portable long service leave levy has been paid for the building work.

Building applications submitted to Council must be accompanied by the payment of the applicable assessment and inspection fees at the time of lodgement.

Requests for a variation to a boundary clearance or setback should also be submitted to Council if the building work is proposed to be undertaken inside the recommended clearance/setback. The standard setback from a boundary with a road frontage is a minimum of 6 metres (measured from the property boundary or fence line) and from side and rear boundaries (excluding those with a road frontage), a minimum of 1.5 to 2 metres.

Some building work is considered self-assessable and does not require building approval (please note that all conditions must be met before the work can be considered exempt). This includes:

  • Fences, which are no higher than 2 metres above the natural ground surface and which are not for a regulated pool,
  • Signs, which are detached from a building, no higher than 2 metres and no wider than 1.2 metres,
  • Certain class 10 structures if the structure has a plan area of no more than 10m2, has a height of no more than 2.4 metres above the natural ground surface and has sides no longer than 5 metres,
  • Class 10 structures on land used for agricultural or pastoral purposes if the structure is located at least 200 metres from a road or boundary, and
  • Minor repairs, maintenance and alterations with a minimal effect on structural components of the same type.